YOURE THE ONE THAT I WANT BY GIOVANNA FLETHCER| BOOK REVIEW

Monday 26 February 2018





Title: You're the One That I Want
Author: Giovanna Fletcher
Publication Date: 22nd May 2014
Genre: Fiction, Romance
Pages: 372
Rating (/5): ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ 



I have read every single one of Giovanna Fletcher's fictional novels, except her new one that has just recently came out (which I am planning on reading very soon). Giovanna's fiction novels all have a romantic storyline to them and coming from the perspective of the female main character.


However, this book was a little different. It still had a female perspective and main character named Maddy but it also came from a male perspective as well from Ben, a character you become very familiar with. 

Throughout this whole book the main characters who you become involved in their lives are, Ben, Robert and Maddy. I would describe Ben as the kind, gentle, shy boy of the novel. Always, wanting to do right by his loved ones. A mommy's boy. Robert is quite the opposite. He is outgoing and loud, compared to Ben. Quite the ladies man. However, we do learn that he also does have a gentle side which comes up a few times (this is a no spoiler review though so you will have to read it to find out more). Last but not least, Maddy who is such an outdoorsy, tom-boy kind of girl. A lover of capturing moments. 


The book is set in a time period of their lives. The book starts when they are young and as the book progresses they become older and older. The book eventually stops when they reach twenty-seven. However, the epilogue does not state which age they are at, during this chapter. I do believe it is a few years after the last chapter. 

The general plot of this enchanting book is that there are two best friends Ben and Robert who met when they were babies, grew up together and were inseparable. One day in school, a new girl joins Maddy. Ben, Robert and Maddy become the best of friends and as they grow up and with puberty hitting so does feelings for one another. As one member of the trio is forced to become separated due to growing up and a life decision, things become more complicated in the romance area of the group for Maddy especially. But who will she choose? I love a good love triangle.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book, as I always do with a Giovanna Fletcher book. Her writing technique very much suits Romance. I do love a good romance book during the winter, it always just seems so cosy just to sit by the fire or in a load of blankets and read about a love story. Whether it be, complicated or not. I loved the fact that the love story wasn't all magical, it was a real representation of love. Love isn't always easy breezy. It is hard and you have to fight for it sometimes, this book made me remember this. That it is normal for love to be tiring sometimes. I also enjoy the fact that Billy Buskin is mentioned in the book, referencing a character in Giovanna's first book Billy and Me. When the last chapter had finished, I found myself quite disappointed with the ending, thinking 'really is that it?' Then, reading the epilogue, I found it justified the ending and made me realise that the ending was the best ending Giovanna could have actually gave the book, making me become quite favourable and getting rid of that disappointing feeling. 



Overall, I recommend the book to anyone wanting a cosy, romance book. 



Let me know if you have read this book and what you thought of it or about another book you've read you may think I'd enjoy. 



Rebecca x

8 comments

  1. I haven't read this book but it sounds super cute and something which I may really enjoy. Thank you for sharing 🌸✨

    With love, Alisha Valerie x | www.alishavalerie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and am a massive Gi Fletcher fan! Such a great review that has reminded me just how much I enjoyed this novel! I have recently read her newest offering and my review is scheduled for later in the week!

    Melanie | www.frasersfunhouse.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is definitely on my list of to reads. Must look out for your review


      Rebecca Elaine x

      Delete
  3. I don't know this author but I think love triangles are always interesting - look at The Hunger Games, for example. I'm very curiouis by the ending though, your comments about feeling disappointed until you read the epilogue are hugely intriguing - great review! x

    Lisa | www.lisasnotebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh I read this last year and loved it!! I love Gi’s style of writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm personally not a fan of too much Romance and I've never read anything by her before but I've always heard great things about her books!

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read this book and I love anything of Gi's because it's always so warming and is such an easy read. I'm super excited for the book that she has co-written with Tom to come out! xo
    Sian | www.siankathrine.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven’t read any of Gianna Fletcher’s books, but I will keep my eye out for this one.

    Amy | hookedonthemusic.com

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© RebeccaxElaine. Design by FCD.