MY 2017

Sunday 31 December 2017


2017, what a year. I am leaving this year feeling so motivated for the next. This year I felt very unproductive, like I haven't done much. Next year is definitely going to be full of productivity. This year has had many big life changes, but it didn't feel like it made the year full. I thought with this post I would go back and reflect on the year as a whole.

On January 1st, I started the year in a bit of a down mood. Not because anything bad had happened but just because I really enjoyed 2016. I wasn't quite ready to let a year go that I actually enjoyed most of, which very rarely happens.

Then later on in January, I came home one day after school feeling really productive ready to do some revision when my mum gave me the news that my 'Dad' had passed away. I never saw my dad, hadn't since I was about 4. I mean I saw him in the street a few times but not regularly and during those encounters we never spoke. When I found out the news, I wasn't sad because I was grieving. I never knew the man, he was a stranger. I was grieving the fact that I would never get the answers to questions I had. I would never have the chance to reunite. I was grieving the chance I had in the future, not the man sadly.

This time was particularly hard not only on me but also my family. I went to school and everyone thought I was ok because when I am around people I try and act as happy as possible and usually being with people takes away the pain anyway. When I went home and was alone however, then things would change. I'd feel sad, I'd feel lonely. Then February rolled around and slowly things started going back to normal.

Before I knew it, it was June. Exams had finished and that meant high school was done. 6 years of school just over like that. On 5th June, it was time for prom. I went with my bunch of friends and it was fun and a laugh. I mean it was no where near like the ones in movies and the food was absolutely horrendous but it was a good night. A good way to end the 6 years in high school.

Then the 17th June rolled around. Was heading to one of my friends gatherings. They normally happened every few weekends or so, just thought it would be like the others. However, once I arrived there was a new person who had joined the group. Then on the 18th, very early in the morning I kissed a boy who would soon become my boyfriend and we would still be together 6 months down the line.

Then in September, I moved. I moved out of my home into student accommodation to start my very first year of uni studying International Tourism and Airline Management. It wasn't easy moving out. I love the course and the work (sometimes) but living away from home became harder and harder for me. Missing my boyfriend, my mum, my grandad and the rest of my family and friends. Plus, if you are a quiet person who likes to have cups of teas on a friday night and watch tv and pig out, even play some card games then maybe student housing might not be for you. Well it isn't for me anyway. So once I move out in June 2018, I have decided not to return and just commute from my lovely home.

This year I also turned 18! On the 28th September I turned an adult. It was a bit dull and boring but that's okay thats what turning an adult is like. Since my birthday was a Thursday and I had uni on the Friday I couldn't go home. Although, my boyfriend did come up to Edinburgh and I believe we just lay about and didn't really do anything.

Since then, I haven't really done much. I broke off on the 4th December for Christmas and have been home since. Dreading going back on the 7th January but all I have is 6 months and then I am home forever. I don't believe I will go back to student housing.

Apart from those little, big events I really feel like I have had an unproductive year. 2018 though will be my most productive year, that I will enjoy and have fun. I am going to do what I want to do and just enjoy the moments as they come. I am also going to be trying to stick to a blogging routine and be posting twice a week but I will talk about that more in my next post which is my goals for next year. Since this will be up before the new year has started, have a happy new year and I will be back in a few days!

Thanks for reading
Rebecca x

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© RebeccaxElaine. Design by FCD.